LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Camille Good <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:53:29 -0700
Hexane is a chemical solvent.  It is available as a
liquid (at room temperature).

The one time previously that I used hexane was while
performing a durability test per UL 1950.  The test
was part of on-the-job training at a regulatory
agency.  Besides it being called out in regulatory
standards as something to be used in
durability-of-markings tests, I have never heard of it
being used in real life as a cleaning agent.  I had to
use a fume hood when opening the bottle, it is very
volatile (and pretty smelly) stuff, and there were
markings all over the bottle saying that is flammable,
and the fumes can be carcinogenic if inhaled.  Based
on all that, I expect that it won't be found at a
typical store - you will probably need to contact an
industrial or chemical supply company.

I did a search on Google for "define:aliphatic
solvent", and it seems that term is for a class of
solvents, composed primarily of straight chain
hydrocarbons.  Hexane is part of this class of
solvent, as are mineral spirits, gasoline, kerosene &
naphtha. So "aliphatic solvent" is just categorizing
hexane in general, it is not a specification for a
specific type of hexane.

Hope this helps,
-Camille Good
Portland, Oregon