LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Camille Good <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:10:47 -0700
Leo,

There has been some discussion in the U.S. about
restriction or banning of hazardous substances, but
nothing has taken place on the federal level, so it is
all state-by-state and unfortunately varies
state-by-state.  Newark electronics has a page devoted
to RoHS, and that also includes a spreadsheet with
information on what states are legislation and what
the legislation will say.  The site is
http://www.newark.com/services/rohs/index.html.  If
you go down to the section titled "North American
News", and click on "Overview by State/Province", it
will take you to the file
http://www.newark.com/services/rohs/documents/Ewaste_Legislation.xls.

I don't know how often that spreadsheet is updated, bu
it's by far the most comprehensive thing I've found
for U.S. equivalents of RoHS.

California has adopted something similar to RoHS, you
will sometimes hear it referred to as SB20 or SB50
(the SB stands for "Senate Bill", the legislation
originated in the California Senate).  However, after
reading SB20 & SB50, it looks to me like the
legislation only covers devices with video / CRT / LCD
displays larger than 4 inches.

Hope that helps,
-Camille Good
Portland, Oregon