LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:42:59 -0500
Hi Blair, TI-Doug, IPC LF Listservers,

Hey Doug Great to see you posting again after a long dry spell.. I hope
Abbot and Bernard are doing well.

OK, Back to the subject at hand.

<We know that there are differing termination finishes for LF parts, such
as pure tin, Ni/Pd/Au, tin/bismuth, etc. Does the termination finish have a
significant impact on the soldering process, or the solder selected to be
used? For example, will a Sn/Bi termination finish work as well as a
Ni/Pd/Au finish with SAC305 LF reflow solder processes, and/or Sn/Cu wave
solder processes?>

Taking this all as a swallow (gulp) the answer would be NO or "The Milage
will vary" depending on the product.

Ni-Pd-Au which is one of the TI finishes will do better than Sn-Bi for
higher stress and reliability products. Sn-Bi is OK where it belongs.

<Are manufacturers offering components with a different lead finish to be
selected based upon your solder process? (My guess would be no, that their
chosen LF termination finish is what you get if you want their part)>

Blair in my understanding you are kind of right.

Components are offered where the manufacturers see a need to meet the
market. If a component is only needed in lower reliability, lower stress,
and lower cost products Sn-Bi could be selected as the only offering.

In some cases manufacturers and soldering suppliers might recommend
choosing components with different finishes if SnPb was your soldering
metalurgy and you wished more reliability.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr, MA/NY DDave