LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
to Paul Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:38:54 +0100
Hi All

We are looking at specifying a Higher Tg rated material for our PCB
laminates, currently we use Tg 120 to Tg 140 for 'leaded' production.  We
intend to use Tg 170 for our lead free production, however our
sub-contractor says that he could use Tg 155
The data that I have points to a greater  reliability with Tg 170 (our
equipment is predominantly in market for 10 years) and we have seen data
on delamination over time of low rated laminates in the higher rated
temperatures, however on the other hand we are being pushed for a 15-20%
increase in the bare PCB cost to use Tg 170 (it looks like laminate cost
is up 15% per square foot).  Its probably a short term blip on cost until
the major laminate suppliers get on board with volume production of the
higher Tg material, but I was wondering if any of you had any views,
recommendation or experiences, my questions go along the lines:

1) what do we think the industry standard Tg rating will be
2) are there any lower cost, lead free temperature profile compliant
laminates in development
3) are these cost implications both normal and justified for the short
term
4) is there a different view on Tg rating between US/UK and Asia

regards

Paul
Paul R Taylor
Senior Engineer, RoHS Compliancy Group, IED
Pitney Bowes Ltd
The Pinnacles, Elizabeth Way, Harlow, Essex, CM19 5BD
tel: +44 1279 449 744      fax +44 1279 449 594

email: [log in to unmask]         website: www.pb.com