LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Michael McMonagle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:59:34 -0500
David,
        Interesting, but look closer in the Claims portion of the patent
where the define their 'lead-free' solder: "wherein the lead-free solder
contains tin-zinc based solder, tin-silver based solder or tin-copper based
solder". I think by the omission at the end of the sentence of the
additional phrase "or any combination thereof" they may have left a big
loophole for SAC alloys. They are only making specific claim for the use
with two-alloy solders, not three-alloy solders.

Mike McMonagle
Quality Engineer
OYO Geospace
7007 Pinemont Drive