LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Haas, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:47:22 -0600
Dear colleagues,

Some of our customers are now asking for material content lab analysis
to be performed by ISO 17025 certified test laboratories.  The ISO
website shows this standard as voted withdrawn and no longer available
(although I was able to obtain a copy from another source).  Yet people
are still claiming ISO 17025 is an operative enforceable specification.

Would anyone be able to fill me in on the history of ISO 17025 and
advise how we might (1) go about "certifying" our own or outside labs,
whether to the apparently inoperative 17025 or to another perhaps more
recent standard, and (2) respond to customers who are asking for such
certification?  I have full confidence in the competence and
capabilities of our "uncertified" internal labs, and I would hate to
bite off the cost of redoing all the lab work at outside facilities.

Thanks and regards,

Bill

Bill Haas
Maxtor Corporation