IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2005

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Michael E. Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:05:36 -0400
Comments

1. The idea Hole would be smoother but these are acceptable.

2. The "cobblestone" effect is normal grain/etching variation. Two layers of
plating is also normal.

3. There was no evidence of cracks.

4. I don't think the wicking is the problem...  Excessive Wicking tends to
cause shorts (not opens)or high resistance shorts overtime not soon after
fabrication.

Summary, I think the holes are ok.

I agree with the report, unless the electrical problem can be isolated to a
board via more microsections would find the same.

Possible Actions:   Under the theory that the via holes are marginal: I
would take some part of a board and float (10 seconds @550F) the vias 3x and
5x and section.  If these don't crack, the boards are fine.  If some do, I
would keep looking at the board as potential problem.

Mike Hill