IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2005

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Denny Cantwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:17:13 -0500
Constantino,

After reviewing the microphotos, and making some "scaled-ruler" measurements to determine some of the physical properties that were not given, I would make the following comments/observations:

This appears to be a 10-layer board approx..061" thick with via holes ~.008-.009" dia.  The laminate material used is indeterminate from the photos.

1)The copper plating thickness in the holes--11.4-12.3µm (.0004-.0005") is too thin per IPC-2221 Table 10-2 Class 2 which calls out for 20µm  (.0008") minimum.  For this type of design, most fabrication engineers would specify 37.5µm (.0015") copper plating thickness as the minimum in order to withstand the "Z" stress of assy.

2)  The drilling and etchback (probably permanganate) gives an undesirable topography for subsequent copper plating.  The glass fiber protrusions create high current density areas that tend to nodulate creating some of the "cobblestone" appearance to the copper grain structure.  The "first plating layer" also appears to have been done at too high of an amperage, giving coarse grain structure with "foldovers".  This plating quality would be prone to failure, either from assemble stress or fatigue ductility failure form the thermal cycling (on-off temperature) during use.

3)  There appears to be a laminate crack at the top of layer 7 (24.9 µm) from the PTH barrel, and layer 10 has a 100% "lifted land" on one side of a hole.  This would indicate high Z-axis stress---moisture removal??, laminate type??, etc---so failures reported in this board would be expected.

Dennis J. Cantwell
R & D Liaison
Printed Circuits, Inc.
1200 West 96th Street