IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2005

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Alan Exley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 14:30:31 -0700
Mike,

When I was involved in assembly operations, it was a defacto standard to run the wave solder at 500F with a dwell in the wave of ~ 4 seconds. Although we ran eutectic solder, colleagues who ran 60/40 also ran the wave at 500F. Running at lower temperatures sometimes led to poor solder quality (i.e. grainy solder). I agree with Pete that you should not see lifted lands at 500F.

The thermal stress test (550F for 10 seconds) was created to test the robustness of the board design and manufacture, since it represented thermal conditions the board would theoretically never see. The only aspect of Pete's response I would differ with is that the specifications (IPC and mil specs) allow lifted lands (up to the thickness of the land) after thermal stress. There are no lifted lands allowed before thermal stress.

Hope this helps.

Alan Exley
Director of Quality
Cosmotronic