DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Litson, Cherie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:48:44 -0700
Frank,

How many pins in this bga and are there any "blank" rows or columns?  We have had a similar problem with a .65mm, 625pin bga with 95% of the pins used.  We were able to use 4mil micro vias in the pads and break out on layer 2. The capture pads on layer 2 can be 12 mils with the top pad being the same as the bga (11.8mils).  The outside 2 rows were routed on layer 1 (we could get a trace between the pads) and layer 2 on the next 2 rows.  This didn't totally do it.  We used some special buried vias that have caused us problems (too small) due to multiple pwr rails and poor signal placement in the bga.  Given a choice, I wouldn't do it this way again.  I would rather go with multiple stacked vias between layers 2-3 & 2-4.  Maybe more if we needed them. Run this by your fab house or OEM and see if they can do it.

IMHO, I think multiple stacked micro vias are going to be the only way to go to get these small pitch/high pin count bga's to break out.  Especially as more controled impedance signals are added to the designs.  Gold plating on the top causes plating problems with small signal traces (even 4mils) as well.

Cherie