DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:50:04 -0400
I thought California already had their own version of ROHS and WEEE
(Wheee!).?.

I'm not sure of any artwork-type changes being required. Laminate call-outs
(due to higher solder temps), finish material, and any solder references
you might have on assy dwgs do need to change. I just heard the other day
about problems with lands lifting on through-hole parts in the leadfree
process but don't yet know the root cause. May be more related to process
than pad geometry....

Speaking of artwork changes, anyone familiar with NEC's patent regarding
through hole solder joints with an annular ring of 0.4MM using lead free
solder? Anyone taking it seriously?

My personal opinion regarding this whole mess is that unless we really
understand the consequences of change (the environmental impact from mining
the raw materials through disposal of the junk when it's broke or
obsolete), any cure could be worse than the disease. I remember some story
about environmentalists introducing some non-native species in Australia to
control some other annoying native species. The new guys ended up being a
much bigger problem.

The sad reality is that if you want to sell stuff in Europe and Asia, you
must comply. I guess that's lemming behavior, but you show me a lemming
with principles and I'll show you a very poor lemming.

Best Regards,
-Chris