DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:34:37 -0700
7bit
From:
Howell Electronic Services <[log in to unmask]>
The Automobile Manufacturers Association (AMA) had similar arguments
about removing lead from fuels back in the 1970's: that it will cost the
consumer more and valves in engines would have a shorter life cycle due
to lowered lubricity.  Ultimately, the AMA succeeded in delaying
lead-free gasoline for a couple years.  Now, we accept unleaded
gasoline, and have lived with it for decades.

What IPC-DC Designers can infer from the AMA example is that 1)
electronics manufacting industries in the US probably will succeed in
delaying, but not preventing implementation of RoHS, 2) regulatory
bodies and manufacturers outside the US will not want to lose the EU's
20% of their sales. Instead they will implement "dirty" manufacturing
plants to serve the US, and "clean(-er)" plants to serve the EU, among
other countries.  Funny thing, those jet parts say "Made in China."

BTW - The SVTC presents many credible, well-researched (peer reviewed,
government studies) articles about the well-known effects of toxics used
in Our electronics/computer industry.  For example, read the 10/5/98
/Wall Street Journal/ article about health risks for women (breast,
uterine & cervical cancers) working for National Semiconductor in
Scotland, republished courtesy of SVTC here:
http://svtc.org/hu_health/natsem/index.html

Eliminating yourself from the competition by not implementing RoHS will
only serve the corporate profit margins of companies that do.  Ready or
not, RoHS is here.  Even though I'm not a stakeholder, I see it as a
huge marketing opportunity, and there is big money on the electronic
manufacturing table, and US designers & manufacturers will want a part
of that.

Regards-
Michael Howell
* <http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emhowell777>*IPC/DC member #1317807