TECHNET Archives

July 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:14:54 +0300
The best compromise firstly would be not to use IPA which is a mediocre
solvent at the best of times! :-) Secondly, IPA in a US sump could be
dangerous if the energy levels were high, as it may cause increased
evaporation if cavitation occurs near the surface (e.g., with floating
contaminants forming nuclei). Thirdly, would hot IPA with no useful US
agitation be better than cold IPA with US agitation? As Doug would say,
it depends. If the contaminants were readily soluble and the article had
a fairly simple topology, I'd go for the hot solvent and no US. If the
article had a complex shape, esp. blind holes, then the US may be
better. That having been said, best results would certainly be obtained
by immersion in boiling solvent, transfer to cold solvent with US and a
final rinse in vapour phase. And even better results obtained with water!

Brian