TECHNET Archives

July 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:48:01 -0500
It has been my experience that the problems with soldering to ENIG,
especially if the assembly has BGA-type components, presents a much
worse potential problem than the handling issues with immersion silver.
There are reams and reams of papers written about nickel's insolubility,
the need for higher reflow temperatures and longer dwell times above
liquidus, the weaker IMF obtained with ENIG, black pad issues, long term
reliability issues, etc.
Based on my experience over the past 5 years with immersion silver
versus ENIG, I would prefer immersion silver and its "storage issues"
over ENIG in nearly every application, especially those with
high-frequency/high impedance circuitry.
Working for a major CEM and two major military contractors, I have never
had a bad experience with immersion silver. Immersion tin, however, has
presented severe storage problems.
While I am one of immersion silver's biggest fans, I do acknoledge that
there could be problems with silver migration, etc., but I have never
run into that yet, and I have been involved with building literally
hundreds of thousands of assemblies using both immersion silver and ENIG
as a finish. I have had no reliability issues with immersion silver,
none at all, but I have spent countless hours working on problems
associated with ENIG.