TECHNET Archives

July 2005

From:
"Crepeau, Phil (Space Technology)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Crepeau, Phil (Space Technology)
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:10:22 -0700
aaaahhhh, aluminum silicon carbide.  what a nightmare.  printed wiring
boards were structurally bonded to it in an effort to restrain the cte
of the pwbs to a point where leadless ceramic chip carriers
(ahhhhhh...another nightmare) could be soldered to them.  brittle and
expensive (they could only be 'machined' using edm processes.  the raw
blocks were created by dipping SiC 'felt' into molten aluminum.  the
fear of it all is permanently etched in my synapses.  please, please
don't ever mention this again on this listserv.