TECHNET Archives

July 2005

From:
Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:27:46 -0500
Hi Leo!

Thanks for the information! I think I'm starting to feel a little better
about things now.
Your information is pretty darned accurate!

Since my last email, I discovered that there were two different Altera
devices on these
assemblies. We built two each of 4-different part number assemblies (these
are prototypes).
We had two different matrix trays of what appeared to be the same part, and
were told to use
one part on one of the pair of assemblies, and the remaining one on the
other.

I didn't really investigate what the differences were back when we built
them, because they at
first glance, looked the same...I thought maybe a different die or
something like that.

But one is a commercial grade Stratix (EP1S30F780C5) that was made in
Korea, and the other
is a industrial grade (EP1S30F780I6) that was made in Taiwan. I gathered
that information from
the part numbers...

The pictures that you saw on my web page is the commercial grade device. I
took a picture of the
industrial grade device and posted it on my page. Go directly to:

http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com/files/AlteraNoGap.jpg

You can really see the difference. This seems to be the one with the
2-piece lid\stiffener assembly
that you described. So I'm starting to breathe a little easier now...

I've tried to get a hold of someone at Altera all afternoon, because I just
want to make sure that the
commercial device didn't popcorn as some have suggested. The devices were
sealed with dessicant
and a HIC card (which was all blue), and weren't opened until they went
down on the board

Another thing I noticed between the two devices and the way they went
together on the board, is that the
industrial device has more of what I call; "Squishy Ball Syndrome". Meaning
that the weight of the heatsink
and the rest of the metal in the device "Squishes" the balls and reduces
the stand-off of the part to less than
the commercial part does.

My question is; at what point does that reduced stand-off become a
reliability issue? At what part weight
is it determined that high-temp balls should be used to maintain good
stand-off?

Kind regards,

-Steve Gregory-
Senior Process Engineer
LaBarge Incorporated
Tulsa, Oklahoma
(918) 459-2285
(918) 459-2350 FAX

|         |           Leo Higgins      |
|         |           <Leo_Higgins@ASAT|
|         |           .COM>            |
|         |           Sent by: TechNet |
|         |           07/27/2005 01:11 |
|         |           TechNet E-Mail   |
|         |           Forum            |
|         |           ; Please respond |
|         |           to Leo Higgins   |
|         |           <Leo_Higgins@ASAT|
|         |           .COM>            |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]@SMTP@Exchange                                                                |
  |       cc:       (bcc: Stephen R Gregory/LABARGE)                                                             |
  |       Subject:  Re: [TN] Strange Looking BGA Heatsink Gap...                                                 |

Hi Steve,
     I will send you the Stratix Pkgg info in a subsequent email.  This
device is a flip chip BGA and is either the EP2S90 or the EP2S130 device,
since these are the only 2 Stratix devices with this pin count.  FC-BGAs
are
commonly assembled with a heat spreader attached to the back of the die,
leaving a gap to the surface of the build-up substrate that is the
thickness
of the FC assembly and the thermal adhesive.  This may allow the surface
mounting of capacitors under the overhanging "lid".  I cannot make out what
is between the copper lid and the substrate surface in the photo.  It looks
like it may be two separate elements, with one on the left and one on the
right in the photo.  The one on the right may be a FC-capacitor, but I
cannot tell if the edge view shows the small solder joints that you would
expect.
     Another common FC-BGA construction is a 2-piece lid-stiffener
assembly.
When the substrate gets over approx 25-27mm on either or both edges, it is
common to adhesively attach a copper stiffener ring around the perimeter of
the substrate after FC assembly/underfill, and any possible capacitor
surface mount assembly.  This reduces package warpage and improves FC
assembly reliability.  In a subsequent step a thermal interface material is
applied to the die back and an adhesive is applied to the top of the
stiffener ring.  A flat heat spreader lid is then mounted against the die
back and the top of the stiffener, and the materials are cured.  Sometimes
due to substrate size limitations it is possible that the stiffener ring
will not have constant width around all edges so as to allow capacitor
surface mount.
     So, if your package is made with the top-hat lid (no stiffener ring),
and if the two elements seen between the lid and the substrate are caps,
you
should be OK.  But, if the assembly uses the 2 piece lid (stiffener and
heat
spreader), then the assembly is in trouble.  I am afraid that that is what
you have, and the stiffener and lid assembly was poor.
     It is possible that the stiffener is bound to the substrate and there
is an intentional gap between the stiffener and the lid, but I have not
seen
this before, and this would significantly reduce the thermal performance
and
stiffening characteristic of the package.  And even if this is the case,
the
'stiffener' does not appear well attached to the substrate.
     Good luck.

Best regards,
Leo

Director of Applications Engineering
ASAT, Inc.
3755 Capital of Texas Highway, Suite 100
Austin, Texas     78704

ph     512-383-4593
fx      512-383-1590
www.asat.com

The information contained in this electronic message is CUSTOMER/SUPPLIER
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution and copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify
the
sender by electronic mail. Thank you.