TECHNET Archives

July 2005

From:
Reuven ROKAH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:28:55 +0300
Hi All,

I recommend to check the option of HASL PCBs with the Tin Bismuth alloy.

Its have  low melting temp. and both metals work fine together.

HASL coating is good option for SMT PCBs up to 20 mils pitch.

-
Best  Regards

Reuven  ROKAH

                      "Stadem,
                      Richard"                 To:      [log in to unmask]
                      <Richard.Stadem@         cc:
                      GD-AIS.COM>              Subject: Re: [TN] PCB Finishes: Final or otherwise
                      Sent by: TechNet
                      <TechNet@
                      ipc.org>

                      27/07/2005 16:03
                      Please respond
                      to TechNet
                      E-Mail Forum;
                      Please respond
                      to "Stadem,
                      Richard"

This is an excellent response.
Also, always keep in mind that the final finish is not what you solder
to, except for HASL. ENIG, IAg, ISn, and OSP finishes are removed or
absorbed into the solder joint during the soldering process. So anything
that is not soldered will retain its original finish except for OSP,
which will be at least partially removed during several thermal cycles
and wash cycles needed to process this assembly.
This leads to the question: Which finish is best for my particular
product?
As our famous Mr. Pauls would say, (drum roll, please) It Depends.
If you have a double-sided board with SMT/BGAs on both sides and some
through hole parts and some parts that are not immersible and are hand
soldered after all of the other components are installed, I would
certainly not use OSP as a final finish. After two reflow cycles, plus a
possible wave solder or selective solder, possibly a hot gas BGA rework
or two, and the subsequent washes (only an insane person would attempt
to build this with a no-clean process) there will be very little OSP
left on the pads by the time you get around to the hand-soldered
components, and those pads/holes will be somewhat oxidized and difficult
to solder. An immersion silver or ENIG finish would be best for this
assembly. HASL is not considered because I included SMT and BGAs in the
component mix. This means you are shipping a board with possibly several
hundred bare copper test points and unused pads out into the world.
That's asking, nay, begging for trouble.
OSP works quite well for standard single-sided SMT-only boards that are
typically processed with a single reflow, and for that type of assembly
most of the OSP finish will be retained for protection long after the
assembly is shipped. The problem with OSP is that the board
solderability depends on limiting the oxidation of the copper between
the final fabrication step and the OSP application. Some PWB fabricators
do well at that, others not so well, and you get boards with a copper
tone that looks like an 1894 Indianhead penny, rather than a 2005
Lincoln. This does not always mean that the board will not solder well,
but it is usually a good indicator that it won't.
Regarding the shelf life of immersion silver finish, it may tarnish over
time. However, this does not usually reduce the solderability, as you
are not soldering to the silver. You are soldering to the copper
underneath.
I have also noted that immersion silver finish will not tarnish at all
if you simply have the board vendor wrap the board brick with some type
of clear plastic wrap. This is especially important if the boards are
stored in a area where chlorine and flux are present, as they are
suspended in the air, especially around a wave solder machine with a
spray or mist fluxer. This is also especially true if stored near
coastal areas with heavy salt content in the air.