TECHNET Archives

July 2005

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:45:27 +0100
Hi Ramon

Using a Silicone as an underfill is a really bad idea.

Keep-in-mind the following much of which was a posting from Brian Ellis:

The TCE of silicones are huge at ~300-350ppm/°C whereas solder is only ~16
ppm/°C

They have a unique property that however soft they feel, they are rock-hard
when subjected to mechanical shock (hence super-bouncing balls and bouncing
putty)

At only slightly elevated temperatures there would be tension on a
BGA-ball-pad combination, that would increase by orders of magnitude should
it be subjected to a small shock at the same time

They are 10 - 20 times more hygroscopic than other coating types. Single
component silicones usually require the presence of free hydroxyl radicals
to crosslink, that means that they will not cure in a perfectly dry
atmosphere. In this sense, before curing, they are hygroscopic. After
curing, the hygroscopicity is reduced, but they remain porous (otherwise,
the trapped humidity would not have escaped).

I hope this helps
--
Regards Graham Naisbitt

[log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]

CONCOAT SYSTEMS LIMITED
Unit B2, Armstrong Mall
Southwood Business Park
Farnborough GU14 0NR

Phone: +44 (0)12 5252 1500
Fax: +44 (0)12 5252 1112

CONCOAT - Engineering Reliability in Electronics
CONCOAT SYSTEMS - Measuring Reliability in Electronics
A British Manufacturer

www.concoat.co.uk & www.concoatsystems.com

Cell: 079 6858 2121