TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:15:00 -0500
The length of the tinned portion simply determines where the flex point
is on the wire. You want that flex point to have an anchor or tiedown
nearby. If the wire is only 3" long and one end terminates in a solder
sleeve with the other end potted, the vibration would need to be
extremely strong to cause it to fail.
If you performed the tinning process using a no-clean or RMA-type flux
rather than an organic flux, it should be alright.
Many times people make the mistake of using an organic flux when tinning
wires. This flux is driven up inside of the insulation during the
tinning, and cannot be washed out. The result, particularly with power
and ground wires, is the strands breaking from corrosion.