TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
"fraley , barrie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, fraley , barrie
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:21:11 -0400
Ingemar,

     This topic can get very deep very quickly so I'll keep my comments
general.  We do employ HALT/HASS here at this company.  Yes, it does
increase MTBF drastically along with early identification of any process or
design issues.  Yes, you can apply the HALT/HASS methodology to specific
functions or reduced areas.  You first need to identify the operational
purpose of the suspect product then research proper methods for stress
testing.  Build a HALT/HASS profile for the low yield area of interest.
Employ six sigma for statistical analysis and there ya have it.  Some call
the process black magic as there are so many variables involved and
dialing-in to the right combination and level of stresses can be quite the
challenge for an inexperienced HALT engineer.  I can tell you from my
experience that the HALT/HASS process has saved our company countless
millons $$$ in field returns/repairs. A plus is name brand
recognition=reliability over the years that HALT/HASS has been employed.
Hope this helps.

Accelerated Stress Testing Handbook: Guide for Achieving Quality Products
H. Anthony Chan

Halt, Hass, and Hasa Explained: Accelerated Reliability Techniques
by Harry W. McLean

Accelerated Reliability Engineering: HALT and HASS
by Gregg K. Hobbs

Barrie Fraley
EMC Corp
HWQA/Electrical DVT/HALT