TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
"Croslin, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Croslin, Robert
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:58:46 -0400
Years ago when I worked at Honeywell, we had an engineer who was about
as arrogant as could be (Rainer, you probably knew him).  He had
arranged to give a demonstration to Sr. Management of a recently
completed test station he had been responsible for.  Another guy I
worked with got the idea to set him up.  We got his manager to inform
the visitors there would be a little fun at the demo.  We ran some tygon
tubing through the back of the station , over the wall in the assembly
area, and into an adjacent office.  When this guy powered up the set for
his visitors, we had lit up a couple of cigars and began puffing the
smoke through the two tubes.  This guy came completely unglued when
smoke began rolling out of his baby, despite the obvious cigar smell.
Fortunately, he took it better than expected and after that, his demo
went well. Over time, he actually became a pretty good guy when he quit
taking himself so seriously.  I pulled the same stunt on someone here at
Nielsen years later with about the same result.  Difference was that the
"victim" had a great sense of humor and after the initial reaction, go
as big a laugh as everyone else.  Have a great weekend

Bob Croslin
Nielsen Media Research