TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:46:29 -0700
You could look at the cover layer as part of the stencil and use an
additional very thin regular stencil with apertures larger than those of the
cover layer. The combination of the apertures in the steel stencil and those
in the cover layer (how thick is it?) could give you the necessary volume of
solder paste.
It will take some work with a spreadsheet to get all the numbers you need,
but I believe it could be done. Unless of course you have multiple board
pads in one cover layer opening.

For those locations you could use a needle paste dispenser, which is a
slower method to apply the paste. If the cover layer openings are as large
as any of the components then a stencil may not work at all. I expect this
is the case as you have to assure that the components touch the solder
paste, then back to the needle.

The more I think about it the more worms there are in this can.

Ahne.