TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Bob Metcalf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Metcalf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:16:08 -0700
I have tried that before and it is usually worse. The way the process works
is you would have two lamination cycles. The first lamination cycle would be
a problem because you are trying to laminate a 2 mil product over 4 oz cu.
Normally a 2 mil dry film would be able to encapsulate up to a 1.5 mil high
circuit.  Your circuit height for this application would be more that 3
times that height. The air entrapment would be extreme.

After the first coat is applied then the 1 mil cover sheet is removed. The
mask is still soft because it has not been polymerized (with UV exposure).
When you do the second lamination cycle the soft mask compresses with the
original coating and you end up with less than 4 mils. My experience is this
would yield around 3 mils final thickness. During the second lamination
cycle, some of the air entrapment from the first cycle will be eliminated,
but the board should still have enough air entrapment to still be
unacceptable.

As Jeffery stated below another option is Conformask. This product allows
you to remove the cover sheet while the board is still hot and there are
still effects of vacuum present on the board surface. Once the cover sheet
is removed the mask draws down to conform (hence the name Conformask) to the
board topography. This allows the mask to flow between conductors and would
normally eliminate air entrapment. In this case I do believe you are beyond
the capabilities of Conformask. Conformask is available two or three
thickness. The thickest is 2.3 mils. I believe they have a 1.5 and 1.0 mil
versions also. The 2.3 mil Conformask was designed to encapsulate conductors
up to 4 mils. It would be close. The fear is with 4 oz cu you might thin out
the mask over the conductors to the point that it would not survive your
assembly process.

I still think the best thing (assuming your customer would not accept LPI
alone) is to use LPI first followed by dry film.

My 2 cents.

Bob Metcalf
Circuit Solutions