TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:43:55 -0400
No, you are all wet. The sudden vaporization of moisture in plastic or epoxy
can pop the die off the carrier, pull wire bonds off the die, crack the
package and expose internal workings of the device, and more. Popcorning is
a good name. Recently, I saw a device just like the one you describe. A
ceramic with gold wire bonds, cavity filled with epoxy as an encapsulate.
The epoxy absorbed water which erupted during reflow and created a large
void in which the bond wires bent and made unwanted electrical contact. . .
with very weird symptoms.