TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:15:07 EDT
Hi Charles!

That's what I'm talking about!

This is a list for discussion, right? I may be playing "Devils advocate", or
just being
a little pessimistic.

We're really trying to get a handle on our moisture sensitive component
handling, and
things have changed, or matured about MS components quite a bit in the past
decade.

Like I said earlier, components that I thought that weren't moisture
sensitive, seem to be now.

Some of that could be my lack of awareness. I thought that large QFP's,
PLCC's, PGBA's,
some thin plastic packages, etc., were the ones that one needed concern. It
really suprised
me today to learn that tantalum capacitors are classified as MS componets

It seems now that ALL plastic packages need scrutiny as far as MS levels are
concerned.

This is going to be quite a task. This means that each manufacturer will need
to be contacted,
for each plastic part, if we are to truely comply with MS handling
requirements.

For a EMS company like us, that can be thousands of part numbers....

But just like you, I see a lot of shortcuts being taken, i.e.;

>>"So the vendor will often package the parts in a Moisture bag and stick a
label on there instead
of going by the manufacturers MSL"<<

I can kind of understand that rational, better to err on the side of caution,
right? How many component
manufacturers in this lead free frenzy are slapping a MSL 3 label (or
greater), on their parts to make sure
they can survive the high reflow temperatures of lead free?

But what that means for someone like us, is that we get audited by customers,
just like many of us do
in how we deal with MS components. During an audit, if one of our customers
see an unopened bag of
components that has a label of a MSL 3 rating, they will want to see evidence
that we have tracked the
exposure to comply with MSL 3 requirements, even if we have a standard 63/37
process and won't expose
the components to the high temperatures of lead-free. This is no small task
as some have already alluded to...

Don't get me wrong, I just don't want to get through an audit, I want to make
sure that we're doing things
right as far as handling MS components. But I'm seeing a lot of
inconsistencies, and have a lot of questions
about actual MS levels of components.

Sorry if it seems like I'm venting...I'm just thinking out loud.

-Steve Gregory-

In a message dated 6/20/2005 5:17:25 PM Central Daylight Time,