TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:59:38 -0700
The MSL rating achieved by a specific IC package is dependent upon the BOM
used in the package assembly, the assembly process used, and mechanical
design aspects of the package and package elements.

BOM:  The die attach adhesive, mold compound, solder mask, laminate
substrate materials, etc., all have water absorption and desorption
characteristics that greatly affect the MSL. Rapid heating may cause the
material to fail in the bulk or more commonly a separation at an interface
will occur. In general, the less water absorbed by the specific material,
the lower the risk of bulk failure or interfacial delamination.  Of course,
if the material has low bulk strength or the adhesion strength is low,
failure can occur even with very low levels of water absorption.  Epoxy mold
compounds will adhere better to some polyimide die passivations than others
due to the presence of adhesion promoters in some polyimides.  Die attach
epoxy adheres much better to a bare Si or GaAs die backside than it does if
the backside of the die is metalized with gold, which is common with GaAs.
Die attach epoxies and mold compounds adhere better to copper surfaces than
the silver plated regions on leadframes.  This issues can greatly affect
MSL.  An IC supplier may source his devices from multiple assembly subcons
that use different BOMs, but meet the IC supplier's qual spec.  Consequently
devices from one subcon may meet MSL1 and another subcon's devices may meet
MSL3, so the IC supplier will normally spec all the product at MSL3.

Assembly process:  Interfaces need to be clean.  Often interfaces are
activated with plasma processing before bonding or molding.  Often adhesion
promoters are applied (e.g. to a leadframe).  The bulk strength and adhesion
of the various polymer systems (die attach adhesives, mold compounds, solder
masks, PCB substrate resin, etc.) is greatly affected by the time/temp cure
profile.  Molded packages typically require a post-mold cure of 4-5 hours at
approximately 175-180C to effect full cross-linking and optimized adhesion
at multiple IC package element interfaces (die passivation, "bare" copper
leadframe, silver ring around the leadframe die attach pad perimeter, silver
plated tips of leads on leadframes, etc.).  The proper cure profile
minimizes the free volume into which water can be adsorbed, and minimizes
the presence of unreacted epoxy side-groups to which water likes to
chemically attach.  So process control can greatly affect the resulting MSL.

Mechanical aspects:  A thicker package may have more mold compound so it may
provide a stronger mechanical structure (e.g. MQFP vs. TQFP).  This strength
may help the package resist evaporating moisture induced stress and avoid
crack propagation from an sharp point, like the edge of the die or the die
attach pad.  But the thicker mold compound cross section may also present a
greater barrier to moisture diffusion during heat up when compared to a
thinner package, so it is also possible that the moisture may escape before
a crack forms in the thinner package.  A small die on a large die attach pad
may result in lower MSL than a larger die on the same die attach pad,
especially if the die attach pad is silver plated.

So, all of these issues effect the package MSL rating.

Another issue is often neglected.  After board assembly, the MSL rating of
the devices does not magically improve to MSL1.  Yet is very common for
assemblers to neglect baking out an assembled board before subjecting it to
rework.  This may destroy the unit being removed (if not already defective)
and neighboring components.

Best regards,
Leo

Director of Applications Engineering
ASAT, Inc.
3755 Capital of Texas Highway, Suite 100
Austin, Texas     78704

ph     512-383-4593
fx      512-383-1590
www.asat.com

The information contained in this electronic message is CUSTOMER/SUPPLIER
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution and copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the
sender by electronic mail. Thank you.