TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:27:53 +0300
How many times have several of us on these forums have already brought
up this same point? I'm quite sure that if you did a search for "vested
interest", you would find several responses, especially on the LF forum.
Poor Kay Nimmo is the one wearing the flak jacket, as she has been a
major instigator. The IPC is not blameless, either, having promoted
Soldertec on a number of occasions.

It is precisely this point that has inspired my opposition from the
start because most tin is won by destroying tropical rain forest
(Malaysia, Indonesia and Brazil, in particular) and the rate of
destruction is increasing with the increased demand, due to some
considerable extent to RoHS. Of course, the tin guys deny this
vehemently, but the fact remains. This is why I say that a holistic
environmental risk assessment should have been done.

Brian