TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:39:14 -0500
Ah, yes the good ole days! I really enjoy these Friday stories. I have one
to contribute this time.

A few years ago when Doug Pauls and I worked together, he, I and two other
co-workers had decided on a Friday that we were going to manufacture a
potatoe cannon.  So we went to Lowes and we bought a 3 ft long, 6 in
diameter piece of PVC, a 3ft long, 3 in diameter piece of PVC, a reducer to
connect the two pipes and a screw cap for the back. We also bought one steel
bolt to use as a stop for the potatoe and a gas grill ignitor.  Oh, and I
almost forgot the most important ingredient, (1) can of AquaNet hairspray
(very flammable).  So we get back to the office and proceed assembling our
potatoe cannon.

Finally, the time came to see if our cannon was going to work (outside). We
inserted a potatoe and filled the back of the cannon (6 in diameter portion)
with AquaNet. One of the other co-workers was holding the cannon, just in
case!  We pointed it at a stone block wall, the ignitor was depressed and
....nothing.  Finally, Doug  looks at the gas grill ignitor and says.. "It's
not grounded".  Duh, so we ground the ignitor and fill the back of the
cannon with more AquaNet.  We attempt again and we nor the potatoe were
prepared for the blast.  The force was so great that potatoe was mashed
before it left the cannon and was thus spread over the entire block wall.
Next thing we know the police are running in the neighborhood with sirens
and lights going. We scramble to hide the potatoe cannon in the ceiling
tiles of the office. We must of looked so stupid to some of the other
workers, but boy it was fun. We decided that if the police stopped and asked
if we heard anything, that we would all play "dumb".

We later learned that a slightly smaller potatoe could handle the blast and
actually be propelled from the cannon without being mashed.  We attempted
another firing at a co-workers home during a company gathering and fired the
potatoe at a barn half a football field away.  The potatoe was completely
smashed against the barn. We retired the cannon after that.  Way to
dangerous, especially when you stop to think all that was holding it
together was PVC cement.   Have a great Friday!

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau
Process Analyst

Precision Analytical Laboratory, Inc.