TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
"Whittaker, Dewey (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Whittaker, Dewey (AZ75)
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:34:36 -0700
Brian and Ingemar,
I always knew there was something I really liked about you guys, besides the
fact that I don't have to work in close proximity to either of you.
Back in my early "plastic days ", I worked at a high-pressure lab. The
building was sunken and half enveloped by a mountain of dirt. Each little
reactor room had blow-out doors so in theory when an explosion happened it
would take out the support structure and bury the building to contain the
blast. The down-side is you were expendable. Come to think of it that's like
the Corporate mind-set of today.
I was doing hydrogenation and polymerization runs on 2nd shift and always
playing pranks on 1st shift and vice-versa.
This was a very high-tech lab and all the reactor charging, catalyst
additions, sampling, monitoring and purging was done remotely. The only time
you went in the reactor room was to do a partial extraction or complete
purge and shut-down. This was after many safety steps and checks.
One night we rigged up some nitrogen lines to the reactor and a container of
dry ice. When Charley ( our favorite target on day shift )shut down the
reactor we rigged the lines to start so that just when he was in the room he
would see what appeared to be white smoke coming from the valve that if you
saw this you were to immediately close it and leave the room. We had rigged
the valve so it was a by-pass so the more he closed it the more came out.
Just as his mind registered " Oh! Shit " the latex lab glove that was being
filled by the other nitrogen line exploded.
I'm pretty sure that facial tick of his cleared up over time.
Dewey