TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks,Bill
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:11:00 -0700
I don't know what frequencies you are working at... But, The 'prudent'
approach would be to proto the boards and have your supplier make 2 or 3
different 'flavors' of surface finish approaches for your assembly people to
populate and then test them for performance issues.

Immersion Gold works very well, Immersion silver also, so does OSP and white
Tin. ALL of them are sensitive to environmental and handling issues and some
of them are incompatible with certain processes or environmental
conditions... but all of them can be overcome by setting up procedures to
deal with the issues. None of them is a solution to all problems... but they
all have their special applications for solving issues with assembly and
manufacturing of the boards.

HASL is a good finish... it's just not real flat. If you have very fine
pitch parts, it may cause you some trouble with coplanarity of the leads to
be soldered on Quad flat packs or BGA's.

OSP works and is flat, has a shorter shelf life less than a year more like 6
months, and needs to be individually wrapped in sealed poly bags to protect
it on the shelf until assembly.

Gold works and is flat, solders well, and as long as the plating is not too
thick it doesn't present a problem... down sides are if the plating is too
thick it can embrittle the solder joint through gold contamination of the
solder and some issues with 'black pad' occur if the plating process isn't
kept clean. Good thing is it doesn't oxidize.

Silver solders well, is flat and needs protection as it tarnishes or
oxidizes but the oxide it makes is still conductive... in fact silver is the
best conductor, better than gold in most cases...

Tin also is very flat, and there is some promising work that has been done
with tin finishes, Florida Cirtech did some work with White Tin that seemed
very impressive.

Realize that you are only flashing gold or silver or Tin or OSP on the
surface and so little of it is present just to protect the copper surface
until soldering is done... After soldering is complete we really don't care
what happens to the plating, our solder joints are good.

Just a little food for thought... after all the choice you make will depend
on the type and complexity of the board you are manufacturing... and how it
is handled before soldering.

Good luck.

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
Datron World Communications, Inc.
San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
Communications Officer, Web Manager
http://dcchapters.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://pcbwizards.com