TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:11:00 EDT
This is healthy discussion and relevant to the health and vitality of the
industry and it speaks to the very heart of a very serious matter we are facing.

As Werner corrected noted we are now experiencing in real life the fairly
tale of the "Emperor's New Clothes". The augments of the benefits of lead-free
are naked and those with eyes open (i.e., have thoughtfully studied the matter)
and looking in the right direction (i.e., to the ultimate benefit of the
planet) can see it clearly. Many folks whose intellectual honesty and whose
opinions and judgments I have come to greatly respect seem to share in common this
opinion.

Harvey Miller's treatise suggests $72 billion as a total cost of conversion.
I suspect it might well be twice that. (I know those kind of numbers must have
some marketing type folks licking their chops ;-)

Fortunately, I understand only about 20% of factories have converted so far
so before we wander too much futher off "into the weeds", there is still a
chance to regain our senses. (or rather to help the misguided legislators regain
theirs) and right our environmental course.

As has been mentioned many times and all here know, the delete key has a
function and can be selectively used by those who would rather not know about or
get involved such discussions.

I, for one, prefer to let the river of reasoned argument and discussion flow.

Kind regards,
Joe