TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:08:32 -0400
Steve,

My gut tells me to bake the PLCC-68's. In a prior life, with plastic
components, we had a time with them after they sat in a "controlled"
environment for extended periods of time. The components were baked out
~ 100C for a few hours. Sometimes we used a vacuum oven to remove the
moisture at a lower temperature. Granted that was in a conservative high
reliability space application, but moisture is still a concern
irregardless of the application. Our view was when in doubt, bake-out
(solderability issues not withstanding). You may want to talk to the
supplier to see if his tape and reel materials could survive these
temperatures.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

On a similar topic, during those days (circa 1993-1994), we performed an
experiment to determine how much moisture would be absorbed by various
board materials after performing a semi-aqueous cleaning process. We
determined that after ~ 1.5 hours ar 125C, the amount of moisture within
the board materials were neglilible (It's one of those things where my
colleagues and I should have written a paper on it). My question is has
anyone ever documented the rate of moisture removal from various boards
and component materials at different temperature? Just curious.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
American Competitiveness Institute
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290

This message is for informational purposes only and does not supersede,
modify, or create any agreements with ACI. Information contained in this
message does not bind ACI or its affiliates to any commitment, either
express or implied, unless ratified in writing by an authorized
representative.