TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:15:07 -0500
All of these responses address fab pwb cleanliness and overlook a key
element; packaging.

It has always been a fundamental expectation that pwbs are expected to
arrive in a clean, dry condition, ready to go directly into production.
As part of this, packaging of the circuit boards for shipping should
include a tight hermetic wrap and seal of the pwbs in a "brick" that
includes a protective paper liner between each pwb within the brick, and
a dessicant pouch included. Some places have special requirements that
preclude the paper liner, in order to facilitate the unloading of the
pwbs from a magazine or mezzanine loader at the beginning of the line.
But no matter what the packaging requirements are, there should
certainly not be any scratches that expose copper, nor should there be
any milling residue, dust, dirt, bug potty or anything else that's not
on the pwb print.
The reasons for the hermetic seal is to prevent oxidation of the
immersion silver, immersion tin, and certain other surface finishes and
to preserve the dry condition of the pwb.
If I received pwbs loose inside foam packaging, or simply wrapped but
not sealed, I would dry the boards by baking per J-STD-033. I really
have no idea what conditions these boards have been exposed to. For all
I know, they could have sat inside of a warehouse in the tropics
somewhere where the RH is >90%.

Its not just for components.

Somewhere in the acceptability requirements listed in IPC 6012B, 9199,
M105, PAS62250, and QE605A I'm sure there are words addressing these
fundamental, basic issues.

And I take exception to the statement that "there is no such thing as a
spotless board". Just what does that mean?
PWBs should not be "wiped clean". This just deposits lint and dirt into
the via holes, through holes, and packs dirt and dust into the gaps, say
between the soldermask and the pads for BGAs.

PWBs should be washed after all processing is done, and be tested on a
sampling basis for cleanliness.