TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:16:46 +0200
Mike,
I experienced something like a number of years ago. We thought too that the bubbles or skin was
organic, but it was not. The story is long, too long. Roger Massey helped me to find the reason.
Anyway, the bubbles was indeed millions of small blisters in the gold finish, and the eye interpreted
it like organic bubbles. I'll ask famous Steve to wallpaper a pic or two. U/S or cleaning or plasma..nothing removed the "bubbles". It wasn't until we made SEM/EDAX/XPS as we understood what it was. But still we did not understand why. The gold "skin" did not adhere correctly to the underlying nickel, so, when we performed heavy wire aluminium wedge bonding or fine wire gold ball bonding, the bonds lifted oftenly. We really got frustrated. On top of that, we found that copper had diffused quite through the nickel layer, and that the gold bubbles or skin appeared only where we had copper in the nickel surface. Can't happen, you say. So said Roger too at the beginning, but he found (clever guy!)the source in guise of temporarily aggressive process water etc. If he reads this, he may add some of his golden grains. The rest of the story is that we rejected all the boards, the board supplier got  my report, they did some adjustments, and the phenomenon never reappeared.

(Report 22, my thumbnail.)
Ingemar Hernefjord
Ericsson Microwave Systems