TECHNET Archives

June 2005

From:
Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:34:32 -0500
Hi Ben!

Your picture is up! Go to:

http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com

and look for "Tombstone".

Boy the ol' page is getting a workout today!

Kind regards,

-Steve Gregory-
Senior Process Engineer
LaBarge Incorporated
Tulsa, Oklahoma
(918) 459-2285
(918) 459-2350 FAX

|         |           "Gumpert, Ben"   |
|         |           <ben.gumpert@LMCO|
|         |           .COM>            |
|         |           Sent by: TechNet |
|         |           06/08/2005 12:01 |
|         |           TechNet E-Mail   |
|         |           Forum; Please    |
|         |           respond to       |
|         |           "Gumpert, Ben"   |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [TN] mystery tombstone cause                                                             |

Various component locations have different sides connected to ground or
power planes. The connections to these planes are made directly by vias
from the outside ends of the pads (vias are masked), so there are no traces
running from the pads on either side. I have asked Stephen to post an image
showing the pad configuration. This image will show a large component right
next to a row of 0306 capacitors, but tombstones are in the same direction
on other sides of the component, and a board run without any components
except the 0306 capacitors shows the same results.

In my reflow process, I am ramping at about 1°C per second to about 165°C,
slowing ramp rate (soak period) to increase another 10°C over the next
minute, then ramping to peak.

Ben