LEADFREE Archives

June 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:10:08 -0400
Gordon,
I may have written the wrong copyright date down on my photocopy of the
title page of Protective Coatings for Metals, 3rd Edition.  I just
noticed that the references at the bottom of page 153 have dates from
1951 to 1962.  The earliest reference is "Compton, K. G., Mendizza, A.,
and Arnold, S. M., Corrosion 7, 327 (1951)".  This agrees with the
"Compton, K. G., Mendizza, A., and Arnold, S. M., "Filamentary Growths
on Metal Surfaces - "Whiskers"," Corrosion, vol. 7 no. 10, pp. 327-334,
Oct. 1951" paper in my collection.

I found the book in University of Kentucky's Chemistry/Physics Library,
call number QD3 .M660 no.79 1939.  I photocopied just the title page (on
which I wrote the copyright date) and page 153, since that was the only
page that pertained to my research.  That library is closed until 8:00am
Monday morning.  But I will be going to Ohio State University's Science
and Engineering Library, in Columbus, Ohio this weekend, to do some more
research, so I will check there.  If they don't have the book, I'll
check the Chem/Physics Library early next week.

Searching   http://www.addall.com/  for "Protective Coatings for Metals"
by Burns, I see:
*  First editions dated 1939
*  Second editions dated 1955
*  Third editions dated 1967

Thanks!
                John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, ESDC Eng, PSE, SM IEEE
                dBi Corporation
                http://www.dbicorporation.com/