LEADFREE Archives

June 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Camille Good <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:23:57 -0700
Dear Colleagues:

I recently saw some literature about using Sn100C for
wave solder operations, from a company that sells
Sn100C.  There seemed to be a lot of pluses (lower
temperature, less dross, less bridging, doesn't eat as
much copper off the PCBs), but I didn't see any
drawbacks mentioned??

I looked through the lead-free archives of the last
year or two for discussion of Sn100C.  The biggest
concerns seemed to be tin pest (where the discussion
was that Nihon has been running some long-term tests
and hasn't seen any problems), use of Sn100C for an
HAL finish, and one company that couldn't use Sn100C
because it contained nickel.

Has anyone on the list had any negative experiences
with Sn100C?  Are there any particular problems a
manufacturer should be watchful for if they use Sn100C
for wave solder?

Many thanks in advance,
Camille Good
Portland, Oregon