LEADFREE Archives

June 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:27:54 -0500
Hi JC-John, Rich, IPC LF Listservers,

I am not familiar with this particular SnPbBi ball composition, yet I will
tell you that for a Tin-Bismuth (SnBi) lead frame finish soldered with
63Sn37Pb that the composition of Bi must be kept under 5% by weight (2/3 to
5%) so as to {{maybe}} help with Whiskers and prevent the low melt phase.
This is per one of iNEMI's Whisker task force recommendations of lower
Whisker performance finishes.

Sounds too tricky to me, in general.

JC-John, if you wish to pursue this, give a call and then maybe go on over
to the IEEC at SUNY-Binghamton and check out their library for LeadFree
books. Hopefully they have kept the library up to date. I think DiPietro
and Bghatt S still work at IEEC, and I believe I remember seeing them
involved in some recent Pb-free conference.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr, MA/NY DDave

P.S. The NY is for Broome County