DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Scott Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:20:31 -0400
Thanks Joe,
You are correct. The PADS suite would be limited and additional money would
need to be spent to get a more robust and functional tool set.

Approx. 70% of my work is flex circuit design with PCB's making up the
balance.  Most flex circuits are two - four layers. There are always the 10
layer rigid flex designs, but for the most part two layers still is the bulk
of the business. I recently completed a medical application that was a two
layer flex design with close to 100 components. The Electra autorouter is
available in a two layer/1000 pin version for $395 and a 4 layer/1000 pin
version for $529.  The four layer version would likely handle the bulk of my
needs and I'd be able to recover the cost within the first couple jobs.
Unfortunately the total cost with the router and the interface would be in
excess of $3K.

Would I be able to recover the cost due to reduced design time , eventually,
yes. But when I look at the total cost for even the low end router I have to
wonder if I would get more bang for the buck looking at something else.
Adding the router is my first choice, but for that price I need to see if
the limited autorouter in the PADS_PS Suite would be able to handle most of
my needs.  If so, not only would I get added efficiency there, but I would
also be able to receive customer data in PADS format and gain some
experience on a different product.

It just would be nice to have another option available. I have used several
different design tools over the past 25 years and I have always felt that
the best tool was the one that I was using at the time. They all have their
good and bad points (functionality, usability, support, cost), but I don't
think it matters to most customers if your using an etch-a-sketch as long as
you get the job done on time and within the quoted cost. If you know how to
use the tools and use them as they are intended, you will be able to get the
job done.

Don't get me wrong. I'm actually quite happy with my current design tools
and really don't need to make a switch to another vendor. But I'm starting
to feel like I'm at an airport and find that a hotdog and a beer cost
$11.50, because they know I can't go anyplace else.

I just want to make sure I look at all the options available.  Thanks again
for your input.

Scott D. Riley
Technical Design Service
607-658-9322 - Office