TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 08:51:15 -0400
Bev,

I wasn't a member of 9701 during those discussions either but my experience says I agree with Werner's asertion that event detectors are better than data loggers at determining when an event occurred.  However, I'm going to side with your comments.  Data loggers are easier to come by and less expensive and aren't as finicy as event detectors.  The kinds of problems I've seen during reliability testing aren't due to poor detection of events but understanding exactely what failure generated the event.  I'm sure you would agree that you can't ( or at least shouldn't) run a reliability evaluation, with data loggers or event detectors, without doing FMA.  I've seen too many cases during my previous employement and with the current Pb-Free testing to know that it's sometimes more import to know what failed.  I'm currently evaluating temperature cycling failures on Pb-Free test vehicles that were subjected to 6000 cycles of 0C to 100C.  The event detectors indicated that approximately 25 to 30% of the peripherical leaded packages on the test boards failed.  Manual resistance measurements after the 6000 cycles confirmed the detected events.   However, FMA has shown that the peripherial leaded package Pb-Free solder joints were not the reason for the failures.  In one case the events detected were cracks in through-vias used in the daisy chain and in the second case the events detected were cracks in outer-layer daisy chain traces.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Reliability / FMA Engineer
Base Station and Subsystems Group
Andrew Corporation, 40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059 (908) 546-4531 [log in to unmask]