TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
Steve Mikell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Mikell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 05:08:47 +0700
Ramon,

I'm not sure what you mean by "have been proven to work on surface mount components in paste and wave solder machine?"

All flux materials offered by major suppliers of electronic grade flux packages work, some better than others.
However, none are "safe" if used improperly or in an uncontrolled process.

All of these materials, if used without a proper understanding of their process requirements, can cause catastrophic failures in the field. To use these materials effectively, you must understand the following:

A/   The use of effective raw flux or paste storage procedures.
B/   Effective use of proper methods for control of in-process flux or paste. This includes time on stencil, pot life, make-up material, end-of-day material handling, titration, etc….
C/   Effective cleaning process, including machine selection, machine maintenance, incoming water quality, machine parameters, control of contaminated tote boxes, etc…
D/   Analysis of each component of the printed circuit board to determine if the device can wick flux into itself, or if it sit to close to the board and will wick flux under itself, particularly when exposed vias or traces may be present. This analysis must also extend to the board materials (soldermask) and the cleaning chemistry used, if any.
E/   Determine if the level of residual flux (and there is always some) is detrimental to the reliability of the board in its worst-case use environment.
F/   Evaluate the potential ramification of a failed unit to the end user, or other possible collateral damage.

Steve Mikell