TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 11:28:28 -0700
You may well be correct George, of course, by the normal industry language, when the Silver plating bath contains a reducing agent which allows the Silver to continue plating after the Copper is covered, it is no longer "immersion Silver", but becomes "electroless Silver".

Minor detail.... but in terms of deposit quality, is probably a major change, as most immersion Silver has a lot of anti-tarnish included in it.

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Rudy,

If you assume that all immersion silver chemistries in use are replacement chemistries than you should expect the silver thickness to be self-limiting. However, during our implementation of immersion silver we tested "immersion silver" palted boards that had 45u" thick silver as measured by XRF and also confirmed by Auger depth profiling and cross sectioning. My background isn't chemistry but it appears that some of the immersion silver chemistries must have an some auto-catalytic action as well as replacement.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Reliability / FMA Engineer
Base Station and Subsystems Group
Andrew Corporation, 40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059 (908) 546-4531 [log in to unmask]