TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 16:31:10 -0400
I looked at the pictures. They bring back a bad memory or a real life work
experience depending on your perspective.

The Bad:
Once, after having taught the IPC-A-610 to a number of co-workers (at a
former place of employment). We decided boards, not too different in
appearance from those you have submitted for our consideration, we
acceptable. Later it turned out cause was a circumferential crack at the
junction of the plated through hole barrel and the copper on the land
(sometimes called the Knee). The assemblies presented latent intermittent
failures.

The Good:
At another place of employ I was asked to offer up an opinion on another
such board. This time we had a micro-section of the PTH with lead installed.
There was good evidence of wetting to the PTH. We recommended using the
boards. They performed normally and to my knowledge continued to operate in
their service environment.

The key to evaluating this condition, in my opinion, is evidence of wetting.
If this condition is not the normal output of your soldering process proceed
with caution. If you have a low contact angle on the PTH wall, the condition
is probably acceptable. If the contact angle is high and the PTH wall is not
solderable, because it is cracked or poorly plated the condition is
unacceptable.

My casual observation, from the images, is things look bad. There is a
pretty clear line around the PTH. The solder contact angle at the PTH looks
convex.