TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
Gary Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 11:03:58 -0600
Since we are a 'captive shop' here at Micron, we have only a very shaky
frame of reference with which to judge how our work compares with other
layout designers.  One of our designers was worried that we (and
himself, specifically) might be falling behind what might be considered
'standard' in the industry.  I was hoping some of you might respond with
the man-hour estimate you might quote for the following board:

2800 components; top & bot placement allowed, few placement restrictions
~20,000 pads/pins, 95% SMT
Usable area: 130 in2
Routing layers: 8 internal routing, top&bottom
Plane layers: 10 power/gnd planes; 6 voltages distributed on split
planes
Trace/space: 4/6 mil
Via drill/pad: 10/20 mil
4200 nets; ~80% involve matched lengths and/or differential routing
Major components: 1020 ball 1mm BGA, 1508 ball 1mm BGA, 1072 ball 1.27mm
BGA, 2x SODIMM sockets, 12 HD connectors
All digital; no analog

A full-feature SPECCTRA router is available.

Thanks
Gary Crowell CID
Micron Technology