TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
Eddie Rocha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Eddie Rocha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:51:23 -0700
I haven't seen the bubbling with dryfilm soldermasks, but I
do know that the dryfilm soldermasks can't go thru washes
that exceed 140C temperatures. The first symptoms will be
white hazing.

Thank you,
Eddie Rocha
South Bay Circuits

Hi All...

Boy, I hope your day is going better than mine...

One of my inspectors called me to to look at an assembly
she had. I
came to her station and started looking at the assembly,
and just about
cried (not really). I observed something that I've seen
before...

The solder mask is losing adhesion from all copper
features, traces, vias,
everything copper. This starts occuring after about 2-3
wash cycles in our
batch cleaner. Take a look at; "Mask Bubble, Mask Bubble 2,
3, and 4", at:
http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com

I've seen this before and thought we had the problem taken
care of. It's
caused
by the chemistry we use to clean RMA flux residues, not
being compatible
with
certain dryfilm solder masks. We use Kyzen Aquanox 4512P in
the
manufacturers
recommended concentration, and we see this problem
everytime a Dynachem
Dynamask (now Shipley) dry film is used. We used to use
Aquanox XJN and had
the same problem.

On our PO's we have a note that when dry film solder mask
is called out on
the fab
drawing, use Dupont Vacrel series dry films, as we know
that we have
absolutely no
problem with Vacrel.

The last time I had this problem and posted about it, there
were a few
I shouldn't be having these problems, that the Dynachem
Dynamask dry films
are very
robust. But I swear, everytime I see the mask bubbling and
flaking like you
see in the
images I've posted, it turns out that a Dynachem dry film
was used.

Can I be the only one that has these probelms?

Kind regards,

-Steve Gregory-
Senior Process Engineer
LaBarge Incorporated
Tulsa, Oklahoma
(918) 459-2285
(918) 459-2350 FAX
This message may contain information that is privileged and
confidential to
LaBarge, Inc.  It is for use only by the individual or
entity named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not copy,
use or deliver
this message to anyone.  In such event, you should destroy
the message and
kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.

following text in
To temporarily halt or (re-start) delivery of Technet send
e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL)
To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send
e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest
http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
Please visit IPC web site
http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for
additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at
[log in to unmask] or 847-615-7100 ext.2815