TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 16:18:57 +0200
Ioan,

I said..some applications...not all. No big BGAs, no complicated edge connectors, no processors etc..just rather simple RF applications. You know how they look, few lines, wide lines, spacy, some LNAs, some biasing plastic ICs, some attenuators, a few power transistors, couplers, circulators...fresh boards, no solder problems. After mounting, sprayed with acrylic or other organic stuff, depending on how critical electrical fields we have to do with.

The below resistivity list explains some:

Cu        1.5 uOhm.cm  hunting fractions of dBm
Ag        1.6          dominating since decades in many applications
Gold      2.4          reliable
Nickel    7.4
Sn        9.9
Sn60     18.0
ENIG     >50

Optimal finish..hmm..think RF people have their different ways.

One of many  papers in the GHz jungle: "Effects of surface finish on high freq signal loss using various substrate materials" . Not covering all needs, but give you an idea. Right on..no hieroglyphs. Call Don Cullen at Mac Dermid or Larry Gatewood at Rockwell Collins for a copy. As both companies have members in TN, I'm sure they will see this mail and assist interested persons. The table above is partly from their paper.

Ingemar