TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 13:00:17 -0500
Here's a fun story about shipping...

It was a couple of years ago right around Christmas time, that one of our
customers called their
program manager here. They were all in a panic, asking if we could change
out some IC's on
some boards that we built for them.

The problem was that if the IC's datecode was a recent one, the boards
didn't work. They
told us that they had some old datecode IC's, and asked if we could turn
the boards same
day for them. This call was on a Friday afternoon. They said they would
send the boards
and IC's overnight for a Saturday morning delivery, and asked if we could
do the rework and
send the assemblies back for a Monday morning delivery. We said yes. They
were very
happy and told us to make sure to use their FED-X account number when
shipping them back.

The boards were received and reworked, and FED-X was called for a pick-up.
The driver was
a little late but finally showed-up. Our shipping clerk noticed that he
wasn't our normal FED-X
driver, and figured that was the reason he was late...he just wasn't
familiar with the area.

He picked up the package and left. Everybody left to do some last minute
Christmas shopping,
and the building was shut down.

On Monday morning, our program manager asked if everything went well on
Saturday, and if the
rework was done and the assemblies sent out. She was told yes, everything
went fine, and that
our customer should be getting the packages anytime now (they are on the
east coast).

It was about then that our program manager was paged for a phone call, it
was our customer
asking if we shipped the assemblies on Saturday. She told them that
everything went as planned,
and that the assemblies had been picked up by FED-X on Saturday, but she
would call them back
and give them a tracking number. They were very pleased and told our
program manager to thank
everyone who came in on Saturday to get the assemblies turned around for
them so quickly. These
assemblies were critical to a very important program for our customer. BTW,
there were 10 assemblies
that was worth around $40,000.

She went back to our shipping department to get the tracking number, and
then went back to her
office to get on her computer and look for herself where the package was
before she called our
customer to give them the tracking number. When she went up on the FED-X
web page with the
tracking number, the information said that the package was delayed for an
exception. When she
clicked on the link that tells you the details of the delay, it said that
the package was delayed for
packaging damage, but didn't give a projected delivery.

She went back to our shipping department and asked if anything had happened
to the box when
the FED-X driver pick-up the package on Saturday, and was told no. So our
program manager got
on the phone with FED-X to talk with a human to find out what in the heck
was going on with the package.
When she finally spoke with someone, she was told that the packaging was
damaged, and that the items
were repacked and sent on.

How did the box get damaged? How were the items repackaged? were questions
that our program
manager asked, but couldn't get a straight answer to. She was told by the
FED-X person on the phone
that this was what she was seeing on her computer screen, and that was all
she could tell her.

It was just about this time that we get our morning FED-X delivery. While
our program manager was on
the phone, our shipping clerk mentioned to the FED-X driver (this was our
normal driver) that the package
we delivered Saturday was being held up because the box was damaged...the
driver said; "Uh-oh...I
know what happened."

Turns out that when the new driver left our shipping dock on Saturday, he
didn't close the back door of
his truck securely. As he was headed back to the FED-X warehouse, the door
flew open and our package
(along with others), fell out of the truck. The car that was driving behind
the FED-X truck saw the packages
fall out and was able to swerve and miss them, but the car that was behind
the car that was behind the
FED-X truck, didn't see the packages fall out and didn't swerve at
all....so BLAM!!! He hit the boxes head
on. The driver heard all the commotion going on behind him, and saw that
his back door was open. He stopped
and gathered the boxes, and stuff that was inside the boxes up, then
hurridly threw everything back into the truck
and took off.

Our shipping clerk quickly went to our program manager and relayed the
story to her about the package.
Our program manager was listening to everything with her mouth wide open
and this look of dis-belief on her
face...."You have got to be kidding me!" "Nope, that's what our FED-X
driver told me..." our shipping clerk said.

So our program manager calls our customer; "Are you sitting down? The
package got hit by a car!"

She tells the whole story to our customer, gives them the tracking number,
and adds; "The package may
still come in today, but look at everything real good, because I don't know
how they repackaged everything,
and it might be a good idea to take pictures of everything as you unpack
it, in case something is damaged.

Aa a side note, the reason we had to use our customers FED-X account number
is because they have an
arrangement with FED-X to get good shipping rates, but the arrangement
doesn't allow them to file a claim
against FED-X......bummer.

The box arrives at our customer, and it rattles when you shake it. They
open it up and find two assemblies that
look like they're in decent shape, and two other that look
like...well,...been run over by a car. No trace of the six
other assemblies. Calls to FED-X are fruitless.

This little debacle cost our customer another 14-weeks to re-build enough
assemblies to complete the project,
not to mention the monetary losses from the destroyed and lost assemblies.

So the moral of this story is;.....uh...hmmm...I can't think of one...but
this is a true story, I swear! Can't make up
stuff like this!

-Steve Gregory-

|         |           Franklin D Asbell |
|         |           <fasbell@NETWORKCI|
|         |           RCUITS.COM>       |
|         |           Sent by: TechNet  |
|         |           05/12/2005 08:44  |
|         |           AM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           TechNet E-Mail    |
|         |           Forum; Please     |
|         |           respond to        |
|         |           Franklin D Asbell |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [TN] Fun with shipping NTC                                                               |

I disagree...what we are going...is venting, blowing off
steam...fantasizing...releasing some pressure...yes, some may actually do
this but if the others find it humorous it is most likely because we "would
like to be so brash"...and find humor in certain situations...no, go have
some decaf and lighten up...

Franklin