TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 14:59:09 -0700
David:  Best to separate this question into various parts, based on the end use, as some boards will be polyimide based, and most others (mother boards) will be FR-4 based.  FR-4 has some potentially ugly components.   However, you have to remember that the question you asked is more political than scientific, what is bad in a politician's eye, may in fact be essentially environmentally benign... take the lead issue.. PLEASE.

FR-4 is composed of poly brominated aromatic polymers.  These words are likely to raise fear on the part of politicians, and other low life, but are they actually a hazard?  It is not clear that question even matters, it is irrelevant to our lives.  Remember the concept that EVERYTHING is toxic, it simply is a question of amount.

Probably, I would not like to be down wind from a fire incinerating a lot of FR-4, but I would not mind even slightly if my water source was filtered through a mass of FR-4.

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

David Tremmel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello Technetters,

Apart from the lead on end-of-life electronic products circuit boards (i.e.
- cell phone and computer motherboards), are there any other chemicals or
compounds which would constitute them as Hazardous Waste?

Do the ICs and passive components have chemicals or compounds classified as
Hazardous Waste (per the Basel Convention of 1989 and the like).

I will appreciate whatever informative feedback I receive.

David Tremmel
Production Manager
Belmont Component Services