LEADFREE Archives

May 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Roger Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 10:09:57 -0400
Good morning Allan and all,

It would not be difficult (although somewhat time-consuming) to keep
basic records of RoHS compliant materials and trace what materials are
used for each job.  Or each lot of boards could be accompanied by what
materials were used in their manufacture, and the customer could then
verify that all materials used were RoHS compliant.

Although the EU will hold the end-mfgr responsible, the end-mfgr will
more than likely hold their suppliers responsible.  Would you be willing
to risk your future business on the assumption that your customer is
responsible for what they pay you to produce?  It would be unreasonable
to expect your customer(s) to test every lot of boards you produce and
would tend to be very expensive for small to medium-sized companies.

Welcome to the RoHS-ey world of electronics mfg'g.

Regards,
Roger