LEADFREE Archives

May 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Burtt, Nigel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 09:39:38 +0100
 There is nothing under RoHS which makes it a requirement to know the

exact ppm of RoHS regulated substances in any components, or any other

regulated hazardous substance. To be qualified as RoHS compliant you

just need them to be constructed of "homogenous materials" which are

below the limits for the regulated substances. There may be other non-EU

legislation which will go this way in the future, but due diligence in

keeping data to show each and every one of your components and processes

used in the construction of a product placed on the market in the EU is

qualified as RoHS compliant is all that is required currently.

There is a third party defence at least in the UK that says that if you

used non-RoHS compliant components or substances which your supplier had

claimed and documented as compliant, then they are at fault not you -

however it does not say whether you might still have to withdraw your

products from the market if they are found to be non-compliant because

of this.

The "homogenous material" definition has not been published in the

official journal yet as far as I am aware, but its pretty safe to assume

this is what we have to work with.

Nigel Burtt

Production Engineering Manager

Dolby Labs Inc - European HQ

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel:     +44 (0)1793 842132 [direct line with voicemail]

Fax:    +44 (0)1793 842101